Image Map

Thursday, October 17, 2013

What I'm Reading!

Well, I always seem to be reading something these days! My goal is to make my students better readers and writers, and the best way I know how to do it is to educate myself! I love what I have been learning and I'm excited to keep learning as much as I can! Here are some of the books that I am reading or I've just ordered to read.

The above book I learned about this September at the Daily 5 conference in Denver. This book is a way to get rid of the regular spelling routines. Per the blurb on Amazon: "Cindy Marten responds to the demand for "direct, systematic, and explicit phonics and spelling instruction" that goes way beyond what to teach - she addresses the questions of how, when, and why spelling should be taught. More important, she situates spelling within the contexts of real writing and the individual learner's needs."

I've only just begun reading this, but so far it's very interesting!

I'm pretty excited about this book! I just recently ordered it and hope to receive it tomorrow. I've read the 1st chapter online and I'm excited to read what Debbie Miller has to say about ensuring that kids have support in the classroom when reading independently. I have been conferring with my kids daily with a para in my room and my kids have made some great improvements. I really hope to learn more in this book.

This is another book that was recommended to me at the Daily 5 conference I have the book, and it is on my reading list! Writing is one area I don't feel as strong in as I do reading. I can't wait to read this and learn more about read world writing!

This book was just released yesterday, and I haven't received it yet, but I've been reading about it on the blog, "The Nerdy Book Club". I'm excited about reading this book, because close reading is such a huge component to the CCSS. I have been working on close reading with my students and I hope this book will enhance my students learning and understanding. In addition, I hope it will enhance my teaching!

You and your students will fall for close reading. In Falling in Love with Close Reading, Christopher Lehman and Kate Roberts show us that it can be rigorous, meaningful, and joyous. You'll empower students to not only analyze texts but to admire the craft of a beloved book, study favorite songs and videogames, and challenge peers in evidence-based discussions.

Last but not least this is the book I'm SUPER excited to read! The bummer part is, the book has not been released. It was originally going to be released in October, but now it's not until November. If you've read "The Book Whisper" by Donalyn Miller, then you'll want to read her new book! I'm so excited to find out what Donalyn has to say about building lifelong reading habits in the classroom!

I've got quite a bit on my reading list, but it will all be worth it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...