Image Map

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Decorative Clipboards

I have had a busy weekend...refabbing my not too pretty clipboards! I got the idea from Pinterest and another blogger. The original blog was my inspiration, Literacy Spark. Thanks so much for the idea!!

So I went out to my classroom and I picked up 20 of my clipboards from my classroom. My husband and my son thought I was crazy when I told them what I was about to do, but they thought it was a cool idea. The next day I was off to Hobby Lobby to buy some supplies. I bought scrapbook paper, Exacto Knife, and Designed Scissors. I also needed Mod Podge, but I had some of that on hand. Once I had this I was ready to get started!! Yay!

Here is a picture of some of the clipboards before I started.



The next step was to create a template around the clipping mechanism on the clipboard. Let me tell you it was a pain, and I had to enlist the help from my husband! Once we got that under control I traced the template for the top half of my clipboards. I knew that I wanted two color designs to create a more custom look. After I had the template cut out, I checked it on the board to find out if it fit, and to see if I needed to adjust it anymore. Please make sure you do this, as I usually had to adjust it a bit each time. Once I was comfortable with the fit, I then used a paintbrush and put a coat of Mod Podge on the top half of the clipboard and also on the back of my cut scrapbook paper. Next, I carefully laid the scrapbook paper on the top half of the clipboard, lining it up as I went. I then smoothed out the paper and got out any bubbles using a ruler and a dish towel. I set it off to the side and allowed it to dry. I would wait at least 30 minutes. Below is a picture of what they looked like with half of a design.


Once I got the scrapbook paper and Mod Podge applied to the tops of my clipboards, I was now ready for the bottom half. Next I had to decide the scrapbook paper that I wanted to put with these. I once again had to create a template for the bottom half. I then cut out the scrapbook paper for the bottom half and did the same process as I did above by applying the Mod Podge to the clipboard and to the back of the scrapbook paper. Note: you may want to cut the top half with designer scissors, so you don't have to worry about getting the cut exactly straight. I remembered on some, but forgot on others. Be sure and get all the bubbles out and wipe of any excess Mod Podge.  Now, please set these off to the side and allow to dry again for at least 30 minutes. I waited a bit longer, because we were out running errands. You may also need to take an Exacto Knife and trim the edges of the clipboard. I had to do it on several boards, no matter how good I thought my cuts were going to be.

Once they were dry it was now time to add a layer of Mod Podge to the top of the scrapbook paper. So again I took my paintbrush and I painted on the Mod Podge to the top of the entire clipboard. I let it dry, and then I did the process one more time.



Once the clipboards were completely dry, I was all set and my new refabbed clipboards were ready!! I am so happy with the clipboards as they are bright and happy and will fit into my bright classroom.


Completed Clipboards!
Once I finished my clipboards I ran into another site that had some great ideas on this topic. One thing they suggested to do was to take the clipping hardware off the boards first. They also suggested painting both sides first. I left the backs of my clipboards as is, but paint on the back might have been a good thing to hide the ugly brown. I am happy with what I did, but click here if you want to see the other examples.

I had a ton of fun, but let me tell you this isn't a quick project. However, if you are willing to put in the time you will create some fun clipboards for your organized classroom!

So do you have any ideas to share about other cool ideas in your classroom??

Tammy





4 comments:

  1. Nice Blog and Clipboards Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! I can't wait to see them in use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you made a bunch of them and they look awesome! I made a few and covered both the front and back with scrapbooking paper. I was please with how they turned out, but it took me all night to do 2!

    I found you through Christi and I love your new blog design! I'm a new follower and I'm looking forward to stopping by again! :)

    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...